Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Positioning Details

After Lew Ford was pulled from the game last night, Nick Punto moved to CF and Luis Rodriguez entered the game as the 2nd baseman. They manned those positions for two innings, and as Jeremy Reed's liner in the 7th tailed away from Punto you could be forgiven for wondering whether Ford might have been quick enough to chase down the ball in the air.

In the top of the 8th, Michael Ryan pinch-hit for Jason Bartlett with a runner on 1st and 1 out, but struck out swinging on a wicked change-up. However, Gardy didn't insert Juan Castro at SS for the bottom of the inning. Instead, he moved Punto to SS, sent Ryan out to play RF, and moved Jacque Jones over to CF. Did Reed's liner in the 7th make Gardy wish he had Jones in CF instead of Punto? Will we see Jones in CF more often while Hunter is on the DL?

Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

At 8/10/2005 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

0-0 tie. Late half of a game. I see no better time for Punto to get his first innings in the OF as a Twin.

 
At 8/10/2005 4:04 PM, Blogger frightwig said...

Arch sarcasm. I like it.

Hess, any idea why my link to your site is broken now?

 
At 8/11/2005 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of arch sarcasm myself but as a big fan of accuracy I'd like to note that, if I am reading the stats page correctly (I'm more of a sass person but I think I have this right), Punto has played 17 innings in the OF as a Twin, including starting a game in 2004.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home