Monday, April 10, 2006

The Secret of Frisco's Success

Brace yourself. For what I'm about to show you may shock you to the core and shake your faith in our American institutions, the foundations of our democracy, and the integrity of our greatest game. As a Twins fan, it may lead to long nights of soul-searching and hard looks into the mirror.

Parents, you may need to hold a family meeting to talk about this. Your children may have a lot of questions, like, Is it okay to cheer for the Twins even if they're cheaters? I don't envy you; I don't know the answer to that. For some innocent young cherubs, professional counseling may be needed to handle that kind of existential crisis.

Okay, you've been warned. Now...

While watching Francisco Liriano pitch in Saturday's game in Cleveland, during the 7th inning I noticed him blowing on the ball several times while standing on the mound. I wish it were not so, but, look, I collected photographic proof....


See:




Now, I realize that the pitchers had permission to blow on their hands last Saturday because of the nippy weather, and I'd hate to get young Frisco into any hot water, but I still gotta wonder: even when it's cold, isn't blowing directly onto the ball still illegal? You can't throw spitters just because there's a chill in the air, can you?

Yet here he is, blowing on the baseball:



And here he is, doing it again!



These are just four instances I photographed while Liriano was pitching to Jhonny Peralta and Travis Hafner. Who knows how much cheating might be uncovered if George Mitchell took an interest. Hey, Patrick Fitzgerald: you got five minutes? This could be serious!

Really, what do we tell the children?!? I wish I had the answers.

Godspeed, and no breathalyzer jokes, please.

12 Comments:

At 4/10/2006 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which Neikro brother used the emery board? I can't remember. Mr. Liriano is just trying to revive a lost art. Given the way most of the Twins starters have pitched so far in this young season, maybe a little ball-doctoring is in order. I bet Stelly knows a few tricks...

 
At 4/10/2006 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next thing you are going to tell me is that Rincon is a juicer....

 
At 4/11/2006 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine the umps looked the other way in the interest of giving the Twins a fighting chance.

 
At 4/11/2006 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did anyone notice that all of these blowing on the ball pictures were with 2 strikes? This might have something to do with it but my opinion is he isn't doctoring the ball. Who knows.

 
At 4/12/2006 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your a joke

 
At 4/12/2006 7:31 PM, Blogger frightwig said...

That last comment just made my day. Thank you!

 
At 4/13/2006 8:58 AM, Blogger SBG said...

I think we need congressional hearings on this one.

 
At 4/17/2006 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheating is what you can unget away with un. Are you against Venezuela

 
At 4/17/2006 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dasf

 
At 4/26/2006 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures are priceless.

 
At 4/26/2006 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I'm glad to see that the anonymous commenter above me was able to recognize the difference between your blog and information about lotions. Gotta love spam. Wait, wait, no you don't.

 
At 7/27/2006 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following Oral Care Blog, it is cool to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home